If there is one thing I am really good at it’s making pancakes. Dutch pancakes that is to say. I use my mom’s recipe which is super easy and pretty much fool proof! Enjoy!
This recipe makes as many pancakes as you like!
– Milk (1 liter makes about 16 – 18 pancakes)
– 1 egg per 200 ml of milk (so 5 if you have one liter)
– flour (it’s best to have plenty at hand, a new pack is usually best)
– frying pan
– condiments: sugar, brown sugar, syrup, apples, cheese, bacon, pine apple etc.
- Pour the desired amount of milk into a mixing bowl
- Start pouring in flour bit by bit and whisk well in between. You can add more in the beginning, as you feel the batter thickening you have to be a bit more careful with how much flour you add, you don’t want it to be too thick
- You stop adding flour when your batter is ‘runny’. In other words: it shouldn’t drip, but it should run down in an equal stream when you pull up your whisk out of the batter. When it plummets down it is too thick, if it drips, it’s too thin.
- Add eggs one by one. (Put in cup before putting in batter)
- Take a soup pan and fill it about half way with water. Stick a plate on top. This will be your make shift hot plate to keep the pancakes warm as you’re making them.
- Take one or two frying pans (this depends on how quickly you want to make them. I tend to work with more than 1 pan if I make more than 10 pancakes)
- Make sure your pan is super super hot
- Chuck butter in pan
- Pour batter in pan and make sure there’s an even coat of batter
- You can flip the pancake over when the pancake loses from the pan when gently shaking the pan without too much effort
- Put on hot plate
- Repeat steps 8 – 11 till batter is gone
Now as you can read under condiments, I have listed some ‘odd’ things. Sure, sugar and syrup are pretty standard, but cheese and bacon on a pancake? Yup, when making Dutch pancakes you can use these as toppings as well. Or even better: you can put some bacon in the pan first and pour the batter over it, incorporating your condiment into the pancake! You can also do this for apples, pineapples, onions, mushrooms, etc. Anything you like really.
Us Dutchies eat pancakes like pizzas. Plus you get to use a ‘regular’ condiment on top. My fave: bacon inside my pancake and syrup on top. No one said this dish was healthy!
Tip: when adding cheese to your pancake during the baking process makes sure you put the batter in first, else you’ll ruin your pan. You can also grate the cheese first so it will be incorporated into the pancake or you can put slices of cheese on top and fold the pancake calzone style to prevent sticking!