Travel report: New York 2015

I am back! Back from vacation that is. Hence the two days of radio silence as I was trying to get back into the swing of things, sort through my pictures and get over my jetlag (not yet succeeded in that). And now I’m on here again to tell you all about my travels. In case you didn’t know, I spent 3 weeks traveling around North America by myself and I visited 5 different cities in the mean time. Each city will get its own blog post and I will round off this travel report with a US make up haul. My first stop was New York and thus I will be telling you all about that part of the trip first.

Statue of Liberty

THE plane

It wasn’t my first time in New York, plus for the final 2 days of my stay it was sweltering hot, so I didn’t do too many of your bog standard touristy things while I was there. I left home early to leave for Brussels airport as my flight left at 10.30 in the morning and you have to be at the airport 3 hours in advance. The flight went smoothly and I arrived in  New York well on time. Security went fast as I had an Esta filled out and ready to go and once I had my suitcase the first trial of the trip would start. The taxi ride to my hotel was mayhem. I usually get a shared van taxi ride to NYC and this time that proved to be a 4 hour drive through random Manhattan streets because it was just so incredibly busy.

Radio City Music Hall entrance hall

Kelly Clarkson concert

Despite my jetlag, my day wasn’t over yet. I met up with my friend Erica and her friend Amanda for some Mexican food after which we set off for Radio City Music Hall. A few months before I had my trip, Erica let me know that Kelly Clarkson would be playing there the first night of my trip. So she got us all tickets and we went to the show after dinner. As I had seen Kelly live once before, I knew I would be in for a real treat, because that girl can sing. After an amazing show I headed back to my hotel and slept like a baby.

Chelsea Market

Freedom Tower


Day 2 would be my first full day in New York and I was supposed to meet up with another friend of mine, but since one of her twins were sick those plans fell through. Instead, I decided to go for a walk. My hotel was The Jane in Jane Street (great hotel by the way!) and from there it was easy to walk around Chelsea, Tribeca, The Village and the Financial District all the way to Battery Park. I first hit up the Chelsea market to grab some food and then just walked. As by chance I ended up just below the Freedom Tower, checked out a discount department store called Century 21, and then headed to the Staten Island Ferry for skyline views and the Statue of Liberty. There are boats that will take you to Liberty Island, but as I have done that in the past and it is rather expensive, I opted for the free ferry instead.

After my boat ride, I took a subway train to Times Square and browsed around some of the shops. In the Times Square Sephora I was tackled by a make up artist from Too Faced who was there to promote their new Born This Way foundation and I sat and had a makeover. The plan was not to shop too much in New York yet, as I knew I would be able to find stuff in each city I would be in. I was using my time in New York to get used to the time difference, and just enjoy the hustle and bustle of the Metropolis. I had some dinner at Ruby Tuesday’s and headed back to the hotel, absolutely beat.

Cast iron bridge in Central Park

Pretzel time!

Roof top views of New Jersey and the Statue of Liberty from my hotel

Day 3 was the first super hot day, so I just tried to stay in the shade or anywhere close to air conditioning. I took the subway much more often on this trip than I usually do when I am in NYC, but that was mainly because the subway trains are equipped with air conditioning. Hooray for that! I first set off to Macy’s as that was being refurbished three years ago and I just wanted to see that. Then I headed to Columbus Circle and entered Central Park. I bought myself a pretzel and set off into Central Park for a bit of a walk trying to find a good, shaded spot to do some reading.

I found said spot, hung around for about 2 hours or so and then headed out of the park. I went to Times Square again and visited the AMC movie theatre located there. I picked a movie to watch and under the blissful power of cool air conditioning, accompanied by the largest bucket of popcorn and a cherry coke, I sat and watch Magic Mike XXL. That was a fun thing to do while not overheating and that was also the end of my day. I tried looking for a diner place I know of that used to be on the Upper West Side, but when I got there, the area seemed a little shabby and the restaurant about to close.  So I headed back to the hotel and watched some TV instead.

Union Square

Park Avenue

On day 3 I was a bit stumped for what I wanted to do. I didn’t have any set plans before I hopped on a plane what I wanted to do in each city, so sometimes that made it a bit hard to decided what I wanted to do. I decided to go to Union Square as it was not too far from my hotel and it has a big Whole Foods where I decided to buy some food for the rest of the day. Then I walked around the square for a bit, visited Barnes & Noble to scout out some of the books I might want to take home and then I caught a subway train to Grand Central Station. I hung around there and checked out the food court (which is pretty amazing by the way) and continued on to Bloomingdales.

I wanted to check out Park Avenue and so I walked along that street all the way to Bloomingdales. It was still a hot day, but since there was a lot of shade from all the skyscrapers around it wasn’t too bad. After Bloomingdales I had a salted caramel cupcake from Sprinkles and then took a subway train to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I have been to the Met many times, so I wasn’t exactly in need of going there, but I figured they sometimes have some good temporary exhibits on, but that wasn’t the case this time. Which changed plans, I headed into Central Park again, found my favorite spot near the lake where they have some row boats and sat and read in the shade of a large tree.

When I left my spot in the shade I sadly enough sprained my ankle, but it didn’t hurt too badly so I decided to keep going. I took a subway train to Rockefeller Center, checked out the Nintendo store and walked along Fifth Avenue for a bit. On 34th St and 7th Avenue I found a great pizza place where I had some of the most amazing pizza ever and then went back to my hotel. The next day would be an early day as I would be heading for my first new destination on this trip: Miami!

How has your vacation so far been? Any travel plans yourself?

3 Comments Add yours

Leave a Reply