What’s not to love about peanut butter? I think it is hands down one of my favorite foods and I always make sure to keep a jar in my cupboards. I’ve branched out in the past and tried other nut butters, almond butter being a particular favorite, but nothing holds a candle to a generous dollop of peanut butter.
Why I love peanut butter
Now there’s peanut butter and there’s peanut butter. My favorite is just the regular peanut butter I’ve had since childhood. It isn’t the healthiest as it does have some added salt and palm oils, but it’s still better than most peanut butters that also incorporate some sugar. I have found my old fashioned bog standard peanut butter is a good middle ground between extra creamy peanut butter with lots of additives and all natural peanut butter which I find too greasy. Getting your peanut butter right is an exact science people!
It’s versatile – While most of us will simply think of peanut butter as a sandwich condiment, there is so much more you can do with peanut butter. It’s great as a snack, paired with chocolate, on pancakes and you can even amp up your savory cooking with it. So forget PB&J and branch out to try more varied ways of using peanut butter.
It’s nutritious – If you are trying to lose weight than peanut butter may be something you want to stray away from in most traditional diets. Since peanut butter is rich in fats, it’s usually a food that ends up on the not-so-good-for-you list the minute you sign up for different programmes. But peanut butter can be very healthy too. Used sparingly (or not), it can be a great way to add some protein to your diet and sometimes, the fats that can be found in it are a must too. As long as you eat a healthy, balanced diet, you should be able to have some peanut butter in your life.
It’s delicious – Well duh! Peanut butter comes in many shapes and forms and I like mine unsweetened and a little bit crunchy too. Depending on your taste buds, there are now so many different types of peanut butter. From all smooth Skippy, to sweetened with honey, all natural: there are so many varieties that I’m sure you can find a peanut butter that tickles your fancy.
My 5 favorite ways to use peanut butter:
- With apple slices as a snack.
- On rice cakes with a sliced banana on top.
- In banana-egg pancakes for some added protein.
- With chocolate. My favorite sandwhich as a kid? Peanut butter & chocolate sprinkles. My mom didn’t let us have it too often, but if I feel naughty there’s nothing like a white bread sandwich with peanut butter and chocolate sprinkles. And a chocolate – peanut butter smoothy is also a great option if you’re in for a treat.
- In baked goods. Peanut butter can make a great addition to your pies, cupcakes and other baked goods. I saw Cupcake Jemma do a brownie with a peanut butter cream layer and chocolate ganache on top the other day and it looked amazing. I may have to try making that some time.
What’s your favorite way of eating peanut butter?